Mental Health and Gaming
Articles written by members of the Take This staff and expert guest contributors on a range of topics related to games and mental health.
Being a Professional vs.
Being an Advocate
How do content creators address mental health online? Thankfully, this is a question a growing number of content creators ask with increasing regularity…
How to Handle Con Crash Like a Pro
You waited for your favorite con all year. Now it’s the day after the con, and you’re sitting alone at home. You feel confused and distressed. You expected to feel tired. What you didn’t expect was …
How to Find a Therapist
(US, UK, & Australia)
The most common question we receive at Take This and at our appearances at conventions around the world is “How do I find a therapist?” Many of you who have decided that speaking to a therapist…
Hot Topics in Games and Mental Health
- Video Game Addiction: What Do We Know Now?
- Video Games and Violence
- More Than Character Stats & Ability Scores: Why Violence is so Hard to Predict
- We Need to Talk About Mental Illness – But Not Because of High-Profile Violence
Addiction / Gaming Disorder
- Gaming Disorder is a Thing. Now What?
- Gaming Disorder and the World Health Organization
- The Facts About Gaming Disorder
Grief and Loss
- A Holiday Survival Guide, Part One: Work
- A Holiday Survival Guide, Part Two: Family
- 12 Days of Self-Care: The most “wonderful” time of the year?
- 12 Days of Self Care: Planning For Anxiety
- 12 Days of Self Care: Hope For the Recovering
- 12 Days of Self Care: Family Alienation and the Black Sheep Effect
- 12 Days of Self Care: 12 Ways to Cope With Loss Over the Holidays
- 12 Days of Self Care: Living With Anxiety
- 12 Days of Self Care: Keeping Peace With House Guests
- 12 Days of Self Care: Gratitude For What We Have
- 12 Days of Self-Care: Being Real With Resolutions
- 12 Days of Self Care: Building Healthy Habits With an Unhealthy Brain
- 12 Days of Self Care: Sticking With Your Goals
- 12 Days of Self Care: We’ll Get This Process Streamlined to Perfection…ish
Mental Health: Disorders and Treatment
- Introducing the Take This Diagnostic Series
- Take This Diagnostic Series: Bipolar I & II
- Depression 101
- Trauma and Trigger Warnings
Social and Emotional Benefits
- Avoidance: What it is and Why it Isn’t Helpful
- Gamers supporting Gamers: The importance of advocacy
- The Social and Emotional Benefits of Playing Online Games
- Creating Positive Interactions Through Games
- Random Encounters: Level Up Your Social Skills
- How to be a Friend
- When Gaming Isn’t Fun
- What is a good corporate ally?